Thursday, August 20, 2009

Trusted

Trust is such a small word with huge meaning, if you really think about it. Every time we share something about ourselves it takes an act of trust. I put my phone number in the church directory because I trust it will not be misused. When I meet new people I share about my family and where I live and things I enjoy doing. I trust people generally, and since I always try to see the glass as half full I rarely suspect things I share will be used against me or cause me harm.

But there are definitely levels of trust. I probably wouldn’t trust everyone I call friend with my house for a week, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t trust them to get the mail. I have teenage babysitters who I trust for an evening with keeping our children, but would never have them do an overnight. I have some friends who earning trust is about as easy as pulling teeth with tweezers. That’s okay for them, and I am thrilled to have earned the trust of them. I have other friends like myself who trust first, and then only pull back if they experience something negative.

Today I got to enjoy a very high level of trust by one of my dear friends. I was entrusted to care for her most prized possession, the thing she experienced more pain and suffering to get, and she is likely willing to kill to protect. I am excited and honored to experience trust like this today.

Do you know what I was entrusted with?

Yes, a day with a precious three month old, especially for a mom who will never have one again, is an absolute blessing, and I appreciate that I am entrusted with a task such as this.


And in case my ability faltered Lola was "On Watch" the entire time!


2 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, how sweet is she!

    They truly are our most prized posessions, aren't they? =0)

    Thanks for wording it like you did!

    ReplyDelete